Thankful

April 8, 2010

I know you've seen some of these pictures already, but I just had to share…

For the last four years or so, this has been our schoolroom.

I've shared about it somewhat frequently,like here, and lets not forget here.

Growing up as a home-schooler, I experienced the thrill of bookshelves surrounding the kitchen table and timelines decorating the dining room walls because there was just nowhere else to put it all.

Of course I didn't mind it then, but I always knew I wanted to have a separate room for it when the time came for me to be teacher.  Lucky for us we have three little girls who would much rather be together than alone, so they share bedroom #1, and #2 is the schoolroom.

I know this is a great luxury that many of my friends envy, and so I don't want to take it for granted.

Which is why I would feel horribly spoiled when I sat in the schoolroom day after day, dreaming of how I wanted it to look.

I didn't expect it to ever happen.  It was just a dream.

So, as silly as it seems, I now sit day after day in my dream-come-true.

I fight with all my might against the guilt that comes to people like me after getting what they've always wanted.

And choose to just enjoy this special gift.

To take joy in how much my girls are loving it, and how happy it makes my husband to see all of this chaos in such order.

Today as we sat beneath the window reading books together, I was just so overwhelmed with gratitude for this sweet space where we can spend our days learning together.

Of course, it wouldn't be anything without my favorite studying pals.

7 Friendly Notes

• April 23, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Hello! I saw your comment over at Simple Homeschool and had to come check out your room. It's wonderful! We just started homeschooling and all three of our boy's shared a room and we had one room for a playroom, but recently, I put most of their toys on a book shelf in their closet and turned the playroom into a school room. It's not fininshed quite yet, but we work on it as we can and still get great use out of it of course. You've given me a lot of inspiration! Thanks, and enjoy the room!!

• April 23, 2010 @ 11:39 am

I LOVE it!  I'm about to begin my homeschooling adventure with my 5 kids and I'm so excited.  Even though we have the room, I still insist on my kids sharing bedrooms.  I think it's so important for them.  We'll be moving into a new house this summer and one of the things I'm most excited about is setting up a school room.  You can bet that there will be a few similarities between our two rooms.  Your ideas are just too great not to *borrow*!

• April 23, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Stopping by from Simple Homeschool.  You did a great job on your school room.  That is one thing in our home that we can never have enough of shelving for books.

• April 23, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

I'm here from Simple Homeschool too.  I love all the shelving you've got in your room!  I hope to someday have a room with so many places for books and resources!

• May 30, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

We've got those same Alphabet letters from Martha Stewart!  Aren't they great?

• June 7, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

Hi , I am new to homeschooling and Im finding it hard get started.  We use to have a pretty solid routine but we got away from it and now I just can't get it together.  Did anyone feel this way? my daughter had a terrible time with 1st grade not the learning part but being away from me so I decided to pull her out after many tears from the both of us.    She only has one semester to finish of 1st grade and waiting on her curriculum to arrive currently.  hOwever I have a 5 year old that I enrolled for Kindergarten and ive had it for several weeks but I just can't start.  I don't know if it is because I feel my daughter's curriculum isn't here yet or what.   I feel I need to get classroom ready which I recently painted but not sure if they should have seperate desk, round table.  Any help would be greatly appreciated…
    Sincerely, Marty

• May 18, 2012 @ 6:27 am

Hey I saw you comment in Simple Homeschool and just had to see what you did to your school room! And oh my word! It’s fantastic! I love it!